Freddie Kissoon attacked again
- WPA, AFC issues condemnation
The police are once again being called upon to investigate another physical attack on popular Kaieteur News columnist and former senior lecturer of the University of Guyana, Frederick Kissoon.
Just after midnight Wednesday, a man walked up to Kissoon and dealt him several cuffs to his head and body before jumping into a waiting Sport Utility Vehicle, PPP 1395, and speeding off.
The brazen attack was carried on in the plain view of several persons and occurred outside the Parliament buildings at the Brickdam and Avenue of the Republic junction.
It bore a sinister resemblance to a previous attack on the columnist a few years ago when a bucket of feces was thrown into his face.
No one has been arrested for that attack and it is hoped that since the licence number of the vehicle linked to the recent attack was given to the police, swift justice will prevail.
Only hours earlier, Kissoon had been one of the speakers at a Working People’s Alliance (WPA) meeting at the Stabroek Market Square, which dealt with the Linden crisis.
He told this newspaper that after the meeting, which ended at around 21:00 hours, he, together with well known WPA and AFC activists went over to High Street just outside Parliament buildings where he kept vigil with some Red Thread activists.
“I knew it was a security risk to leave my car alone in the dark for over four hours while I was not near to it. I do not make those mistakes. Unfortunately, I did last Thursday…,” Kissoon said.
He said that at midnight he decided to leave. Two other colleagues, Dr. David Hinds and Michael Carrington departed in different directions to their means of transportation while Kissoon headed towards his car which was parked in the DEMICO lot on Brickdam.
“As I crossed over from northern Brickdam to get my car…, this figure came towards me and pelted a cuff in front of my face. I moved my face and it caught the right side of my head. I screamed and he continued. I fell and he appeared to be going into his waist when Carrington ran towards him screaming. Dr. Hinds, the Red Thread women and some other persons at the vigil converged on the scene. Carrington and two gentlemen from the vigil gave chase but the man ran into a black SUV which was circling the vigil the entire night.”
Kissoon described his attacker as being about six feet tall and clean shaven with short hair.
He said that while he has become accustomed to these attacks, he is fearful that it could cost him his life.
“I believe there is someone high up the chain of command in the corridors of power that has an obsession with me in the mistaken belief that I am Guyana’s greatest threat to the PPP Government. I don’t think I am but how does one deal with an obsession?”
Meanwhile, Kaieteur News has learnt that the motor vehicle licence number, PPP 1395, is registered to former police Divisional Commander, Steve Merai.
When contacted, Merai admitted that the licence number is registered to him but it is the licence number of a car he owns and not that of a Sport Utility Vehicle.
He said that he was asked by investigators to prepare a statement on his whereabouts at the time of the incident.
Meanwhile, both the Working People’s Alliance and the Alliance For Change have strongly condemned the recent attack on Kissoon.
The WPA in a statement said that the attack, according to eyewitness accounts, seems to have been well orchestrated.
The party is of the view that Kissoon seems to have been singled out for special treatment by the “rulers”.
“WPA views this as yet another manifestation of the intent by the ruling class to silence its critics at all cost. We have reached the point where political protest against the government is a crime which attracts the full force of the state and its phantom forces. Despite persistent harassment, including loss of employment at the University of Guyana, Kissoon continues in the frontline of the resistance against oppression. WPA stands in solidarity with him and calls on the powers that be to respect the right to protest.”
And Attorney-at-law Moses Nagamootoo, speaking on behalf of the AFC, described the attack as a “crude and cruel one on someone who is an outspoken critic of the government.”
Nagamootoo recalled the first attack on Kissoon two years ago and warned that these acts should not be allowed to continue.
“It has to be traced back to the earlier attack. The first time we shrugged our shoulders but the second time, this is a pattern,” Nagamootoo said.
“Whoever is behind this should know they cannot shut people up. It is an attack on all who believe in constitutional rights,” Nagamootoo declared.