Breakthrough near in murder/rape probe of Woodley Park teen
- gang-rape suspected
Police in West Berbice have detained two young men in relation to the murder and rape of 14- year-old Basmattie ‘Manda’ Moonsammy.
Up to press time last evening, the individuals were in custody giving statements at the Fort Wellington Police Station.
Meanwhile, the main suspect, a 20-year-old fisherman of Woodley Park, remains in the Fort Wellington lockups, more than 24 hours after his arrest.
His mother told this newspaper last evening that she was aware that two others were arrested sometime yesterday. “I praying and glad that they find the person who killed the girl so my son can be prove innocent.”
She noted, too, that today, at 14:00hrs, it would be 72 hours since her son had been detained.
A police source disclosed that investigators are looking for a number of other young men in the area. “
“It was a chain-link rape; a lot of boys, not one man, so it’s being unraveled now and the police are pressuring them to get the confession,” the source said.
Moonsammy had been missing from her home over a week ago and it was rice farmers in the area who made the discovery of her decomposing corpse buried in a shallow grave in the backdam area last Saturday morning.
Continuous rain had exposed the body. The body was face down in the grave and clad only in a black bra and skirt. Her underwear was pulled down to her knees. Her neck was also tied with a long piece of shirt fabric.
According to reports, the teen was reported missing two Sundays ago and this was reported to the station. However, because it was not the first time nobody thought her disappearance strange.