Six homeless after fire guts Sophia home
-children playing with matches started blaze
A family of six was left homeless yesterday evening after a fire, reportedly caused by children playing with matches, destroyed a two-storey house at Lot 450 A Field Sophia.
The property is owned by Mrs. Paulette Thompson and is said to have been valued at some $7M. The occupants said that nothing was saved.
The property was occupied by Mrs. Thompson, who is in her sixties; her son, Clifford Thompson and his children, aged five, three and eight months, and his sister Nefertiti Thompson, who is a nurse.
Clifford Thompson, a policeman, said that his children were at home with a 19-year-old female when the fire started. He said that the children were playing with matches.
According to reports, the children lit a fire close to the house at around 18:30 hrs and the flames spread to the building.
A resident said that a fire tender arrived about five minutes after but firefighters were unable to save the building. He said that before the fire tender arrived, residents using buckets, had attempted to douse the flames. However, they were forced to retreat after electrical wires near the building began to spark.
The fire had already been extinguished by the time Clifton Thompson and his mother arrived. An inconsolable Mrs. Thompson could be heard lamenting that
all her labour had been in vain.
The family had occupied the property for over ten years.