Supenaam stelling ramp collapses again
Over 50 vehicles heading to Parika were unable to make their daily trip across the Essequibo River because of another complication with the ramp at the new stelling at Supenaam.
According to vehicle owners, the ramp broke again under pressure after a truck attempted to go onto the ferry. This caused a sudden halt to the loading operation.
Construction of the Good Hope/Supenaam stelling began about five years ago after a $400 million contract was awarded to BK International. The pontoon attached to the stelling collapsed when the first vehicle was loaded.
The government intervened and spent another large sum of money to re-fashion the pontoon. The stelling was put into operation, but from time to time there were problems. This collapse of the ramp is the latest problem.
Frustrated vehicle owners said although the incident happened during morning hours, they were only informed by management at Supenaam, some time yesterday afternoon.
“Since Monday, vehicle owners have being encountering difficulties to cross.”
In the wake of the problems at Supenaam, vehicle owners said they were directed to the old Adventure stelling.
Benn, while on a visit to the Essequibo Coast, in May, tried to reassure Essequibians that the stelling would be fully operational in August.
But while that promise was made, no works have been ongoing at that site, except for a few piles driven by some contractual workers earlier this year. One driver has described the situation as frustrating.”This is a spare wheel.”
The driver said that some of their fellow truck drivers have been left stranded at the Supenaam stelling since Monday.The abandoned Adventure stelling had to be swiftly put back into operation until the repair works at Supenaam were completed.