Owner claims $400M in losses
- rules out generator as cause of fire
Owner of the G. Bacchus Enterprise (formerly the MFK building) located east of Ashmins Trading on Hadfield Street, Mr. Goolmohamed Rahaman, is standing firm on his belief that the fire which caused him to lose millions of dollars, could not have been caused by a generator.
Speaking with this newspaper yesterday the businessman said that his generator is not automatic, and no one else, besides himself and wife, has access to the equipment.
The generator he said can only be switched on from inside the bottom floor of the four storey building, which to their knowledge, was fully secured. Testament to that, he pointed out, was the fact that firemen had much difficulties in breaking into the building.
His comments came a day after fire gutted his four storey building.
Some persons alleged that they heard the sound a generator starting, followed by an explosion and then flames.
Mr. Bacchus opined that the sound of a generator must have emanated from the nearby store since the one in their building was not on, and no one was inside.
Mr. Bacchus and his family were in Skeldon, Corentyne Berbice at the time of the fire which started at around 20:00hrs on Saturday night.
They reportedly left the building fully secured since Friday.
After receiving the devastating news, the Bacchus family hurriedly made it down to Georgetown, but by that time, thick smoke was already fluttering out of a few windows at the top of the building that were left open.
The frustrated family was left counting their losses which as of yesterday afternoon, amounted to $400M. The first floor of the building housed a supermarket.
Food items, Laundry detergents, and basically everything else available in a supermarket were burnt to ashes in that floor.
The second floor housed mostly household appliances, inclusive of flat screen televisions, generators, air conditioning units and refrigerators which were all damaged.
The other two floors contained millions of dollars in stored goods. The fire itself, the businessman said, did not spread onto those floors.
However, the goods there were either damaged by the heat, or suffered water damages.
Mr. Bacchus told Kaieteur News that the goods are worth much more than the building itself.
Though his building is insured, the millions in goods he loss will take a toll on him and his family.
The firefighters who battled desperately to prevent the fire from spreading throughout the building, also managed to save the Ashmins Trading, owned by one Lennox John.
As of yesterday, those employed at G. Bacchus enterprise, were assisting their employers in cleaning out some of the severely damaged goods.