Three staff members in custody…As pontoon disappears from Harbour Bridge
A pontoon mysteriously disappeared from the Demerara Harbour Bridge Thursday night and investigators are now questioning a number of staff members.
The pontoon which was to be used by staffers in the major emergency works that started yesterday was discovered missing Friday morning. Reports were made to Ministry of Public Works and to the police.
Officials of Public Works Ministry yesterday said that the Army’s helicopter, the Coast Guards and the Maritime Administration Department have been requested to help in the search for the multi-million-dollar pontoon.
It is a case that is puzzling the bridge authorities as the Harbour Bridge is an extremely busy area that is very traversed by traffic all day and night long. With the fact that the pontoon is by no means small, authorities are suspecting that there may be some collusion by staff members.
It is believed that the pontoon may have been sold. It is equipped with four large winches which could also fetch a substantial amount of money.
According to officials, police held three staffers on Friday. It is now being reported that a sum of $1.5M was paid over by persons so far unknown for the pontoon.
Searchers are scouring several waterways up the Demerara River especially but authorities are also widening the net across the country.
General Manager of the Demerara Harbour Bridge, Rawlston Adams, declined to comment on the matter noting that investigations are currently ongoing.
A source said that one of the first persons to be informed of the missing pontoon was Works Minister Robeson Benn.