Man critical after gas stove explosion
- was about to make tea for his children
Anand Persaud, 25, of Bella Dam, West Bank Demerara, is in a critical condition at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) after a gas stove in his home exploded at around 15:00 hrs yesterday.
The mishap reportedly occurred after someone accidentally left a burner on for several minutes. He suffered burns to almost his entire body.
“He was badly burned to the head, face, chest and his hands,” a source said.
The man’s mother, Parbattie Persaud, told Kaieteur News that her son was about to make tea for his two children, and did not notice that the burner was already turned on.
Persaud’s wife had just returned from running an errand when she heard her husband scream.
“He wife de just come back, and she hear he holler. When she run to see he, smoke was coming out he skin,” the man’s mother lamented.
An alarm was subsequently raised and neighbours assisted in rushing the injured man to the Best Hospital. He was immediately taken to the West Demerara Regional Hospital before being transferred to the GPHC. He has been admitted to the Burns Care Unit.