Three face court over embezzlement of $48M in Digicel funds
The alleged embezzlement of a hefty sum has landed three women before the courts.
The women Melissa Naughton and Oladaia Christian both pleaded not guilty to the charge of larceny by clerk or servant, while Candace Marshall was charged with them with conspiracy to embezzle several million dollars, the property of Telecommunications Solutions (GUY) Inc. (TSI) (DIGICEL).
It is alleged that between the period of June 25, 2008 and November 23, 2009 while being servant or clerk at the said company, they fraudulently embezzled $48,080,250.
According to the prosecution the three women were previously employed at TSI and between 2008 – 2009, while being cashiers they were entrusted and were responsible for selling large amounts of phone credits.
This was done through a computerized system.
However instead of crediting the money received to the company they allegedly took it for themselves.
The women were later arrested and charged for the offence.
The women were represented by separate attorneys. Gordon Gilhuys made an appearance for Melissa Naughton. He said his client is 39-years old and she lives at 64 Robert Road Better Hope, East Coast Demerara. The lawyer said his client had co-operated with police and was not seeking to leave the country. He asked that she be granted reasonable bail.
Subsequently Shellon Boyce in association with Glen Hanoman submitted her application for bail for Oladaia Christian, stressing that her client was not a flight risk.
She said that Christian is 28-years old and is currently a cosmetologist, who resides at Lot 36 Shell Road Kitty.
Boyce also asked the court to have the police release a car and a laptop which they had seized from her client’s home.
Last to make his application was Adrian Thompson on behalf of Marshall.
The defence lawyer asked the court for reasonable bail for his 26-year old client. He said that Marshall resided at 3602 North Ruimveldt. She was not a flight risk and was prepared to lodge her passport in police custody pending the resolution of the matter.
On conclusion of the submissions by the battery of lawyers, the prosecution required that the women be placed on substantial bail attributing the request to the large sum of money allegedly embezzled.
Acting Magistrate Priya Sewnarine- Beharry, later instructed that the women return to court on January 9 after posting bail to the tune of $250,000 each.