CANU nabs seven during 40-kg cocaine bust
Ranks from the Customs Anti-Narcotics Unit (CANU), supported by the Berbice Anti Smuggling Squad (BASS) made a 40-kilo cocaine bust between Wednesday night and yesterday. They also arrested seven people, among them a Canadian who was arrested and charged with trafficking in cocaine two years ago.
This Canadian was out on bail when he was busted yesterday.
According to reports, the ranks intercepted the cocaine traffickers in the Skeldon/Line Path/Crabwood Creek area. They were headed to Suriname.
The bust followed four days of surveillance from the Guyana border with Venezuela to the point of arrest.
A source said that the Surinamese had been notified and they were on alert should the local authorities have decided to allow the traffickers to leave Guyana.
The news of the bust came from Home Affairs Minister Clement Rohee at a press conference at Freedom House, yesterday.
CANU Head, James Singh, said that he could not over-emphasise the role the Berbice Anti Smuggling Squad played.
This is the second cocaine bust in Berbice in a week. Last week CANU ranks busted another batch of smugglers with 30 kilos of cocaine. This group had the cocaine in two buckets on the Corentyne foreshore.
When the ranks arrived, some of them managed to escape but two were arrested.
Law enforcers say that they expect to make further drug busts on the Corentyne as traffickers try to move the drugs across the border to Suriname then to Europe.
Former Jamaican Police Commissioner, Francis Forbes, who is now heading the regional drug fight out of Trinidad, said that in the period ahead there will be even bigger busts as drug traffickers, in a bid to recover their losses to the busts, will ship even larger quantities.
One law enforcer declined to suggest that this is the case here.