Rape accused father and son released
…police await file from DPP
The 46-year-old Linden man and his 18-year-old son who were held on allegation of raping the man’s 17-year-old daughter have been released from police custody.
This newspaper was told that the duo was released some time over the weekend as the police continue their investigation.
According to a source close to the investigation the police are currently awaiting advice from the Office of the Director of Public Prosecution. Kaieteur News understands that the 46-year-old man and his 18-year-old son were taken into custody some time last week after the rape reports were made to the police.
Police and sources within the Welfare Department of the Human Services Ministry said that medical examinations appeared to support the teen’s allegations.
The victim, whose mother is dead, allegedly told police that her brother began to sexually molest her last year. After the molestation continued, she complained to her father who instead of looking into the matter and reprimanding her brother, started on her too.
One report indicated that the sordid story came to light on Tuesday after an anonymous caller reported the matter to the Probation and Family Welfare Unit in Linden. But other sources said that the teenager confided in a friend, and revealed that she was contemplating running away from home.
After the police were called in the girl was taken to the Linden Hospital Complex, where she was examined, and it was confirmed that she was sexually active.
Subsequently, father and son were arrested in Linden
Up to press time yesterday a welfare official disclosed that the alleged victim was still in the care of another relative.