Sacked OP employee says intimidation will not silence her
“I think that by doing that to my family is their way of getting me to shut up, but that is not going to happen.”
Marcelle Joseph, the former employee of the Office of the President who was sacked, says that she has spoken to a number of influential persons in the United States of America, detailing some of what she described as the corrupt dealings of her former employers.
Speaking with this newspaper in an exclusive interview yesterday from New York, Joseph said that after fleeing Guyana out of fear for her life, she has been speaking with several influential persons who were “very interested in what was taking place in Guyana.”
However she did not give details of what she revealed in the United States.
Joseph has denied allegations made by the office of the president in a statement last week on her dismissal.
In that statement last week, OP had accused Joseph, a former Technical Research Officer, of soliciting lunch or lunch money from persons in exchange for certain favours associated with her job at Office of the President.
OP also alleged that she had stolen four flash drives and subsequently downloaded sensitive information from the Office of the President computer files.
Her employers had given these as the reasons for her dismissal and not the leakage of information on the controversial laptop purchases.
“This is just the work of Prem Misir and Kwame McCoy,” she said, explaining that it was a futile attempt to besmirch her character.
On Thursday last police, reportedly acting on instructions from the Office of the President, searched the home of Joseph’s mother on the West Coast Demerara, claiming that they were looking for a flash drive with sensitive Government information.
Joseph said that she was very upset when she heard about the search, since she realised that “these people will stop at nothing to get to me.”
“I think the PPP has their backs against the wall and they don’t know in which direction they are going,” Joseph said.
She told this newspaper that she would not be stupid enough to leave a flash drive with sensitive information behind even if she had it.
“Now tell me, why would I leave such information behind? That doesn’t make sense,” she asked.
She believes that the raid on her mother’s house was an attempt to intimidate her not to reveal certain sensitive information, which she previously indicated she would do.
But she said that she is determined to reveal what she knows about the dealings within the Office of the President to the Guyanese public as soon as possible.
“I think that by doing that to my family Is their way of getting me to shut up, but that is not going to happen. It’s about time that somebody stands up to the government and let them know that we cannot be taken for a ride,” Joseph stated defiantly.
“The Guyanese people need to know of all the skullduggery that the government is involved with. It’s about time we as Guyanese come together and stand up for our rights,” she added.
During the search of her mother’s house last Thursday, police had requested information on Joseph’s location in the United States but Joseph is not worried since she is convinced that her personal security is not under threat and she is confident of being able to divulge the information she has in her possession.
When pressed on how long she will delay revealing the information she has on the alleged corrupt dealings of the administration, she teased, “Which Permanent Secretary in the Public Service has ten houses? And all the bills, electricity and so on are paid by the Office of the President.”
Joseph stated that the persons to whom she has spoken in the United States were not surprised by her revelations.
“They were aware of all that I told them but they just wanted someone from within confirm and provide details,” she stated.