Pele triumph, GDF clinch third place

February 1, 2011 | By | Filed Under Sports 

Football fans turned out in their numbers and witnessed an exciting match between the Conquerors FC and Pele FC when the two teams clashed for championship honours in the BK International Western Tigers Football club Super 8 football tournament at the Georgetown Football Club (GFC) ground Sunday evening last.
At the end of the exhilarating encounter it was Pele that walked away with the honours complements of a 81st minute strike of the boot of Mervin Joseph after extra time became necessary to separate the two teams.
Fans never bargained for the fierce competition that unfolded late into the match after Konata Manning had converted from the penalty spot in the 35th minute to give Pele the lead.
Spirited attacks by the opposition failed to equalize the situation and as the match dwindled to a conclusion it appeared as though the Manning strike would have held up.
This was not to be, however, as nine minutes before regulation time, in the 81st, substitute player Travis Hackett tucked in the equalizer and forced the game into extra time.
It was not easy going for the eventual winners who played with a one player deficit after Travis Grant was given marching orders for a dangerous tackle just off the left of the goal.
Afterwards, Sheldon Holder and Konata Manning both flunked opportunities due to strong defence tactics from Fruta Conquerors. The latter team was also guilty of shabby play and in one instance Trevon Lythcott skillfully maneuvered the ball to Pele’s goalmouth and flunked an easy opportunity.
To their credit, the Conquerors appeared fit and ready for the challenge, dominating the second half of play. Fortune acted against them when Joseph slammed in the decisive goal with little time left to repair the situation. For their efforts Pele took home the $500,000 first prize up for grabs.
The Guyana Defence Force came prepared for an all out war and in the end they prevailed with an embarrassing 3-0 defeat over Western Tigers. Delroy Deen netted a brace in the 9th and 25th minutes while Marlon Benjamin drove the final nail in the coffin with a scorching 42nd minute strike. The Army marched off with $200,000 while the ‘Tigers’ pocketed $150,000.
The teams that participated in the tournament are: Santos FC, Alpha United, the Guyana Defense Force, Camptown, Riddim Squad, Conquerors FC, Pele and the Western Tigers FC.

If you find a comment distasteful or inappropriate, you can flag the comment and send us a report for immediate removal. Send report to
Kaieteur News reserves the rights to moderate any comment deemed inappropriate and is not responsible for the views expressed.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest Sports Headlines

>>> Click to see more...

Updated by Kaieteur News Personnel. All Rights Reserved. A GxMedia website solution.