Corentyne man found in Kali Mai Puja Temple, dies

November 25, 2010 | By | Filed Under News 

NUMBER SIXTY FOUR VILLAGE, CORENTYNE – A Corentyne pensioner and his grandchildren are now in custody as police in Berbice probe the cause of his son-in-law, Guydat Narine Joseph’s death.
According to police reports, about 19:15 hours on Tuesday, 65-year-old Krissendeow Chunilal of Lot 13 Number Sixty-four Village, Corentyne and his two grandsons went to his Kali Mai Puja Temple to perform his usual religious ritual when he saw his son-in-law who happened to be injured.
Forty-five-year old Guydat Narine Joseph, called Rueben, of Lot 42 Number Sixty-three Village was said to be in the north-eastern corner of the building, bleeding. He had sustained wounds to the head, neck and both arms.
The pensioner reportedly told police that he and his grandsons, 26-year old labourer Ram Permasar, and 18-year-old Kemram Singh, took the injured man to the Skeldon Hospital. Police reports further indicate that the victim died about 20:45 hours on Tuesday.
A post mortem examination is to be performed later this week.
Guydat Narine Joseph’s wife, Nandkumarie Joseph, told police that she and her husband had some domestic problem which resulted in him physically abusing her about a week ago.
The woman reportedly told police that he moved out of their home and that was the last time she saw him.
Krissendeow Chunilal is the owner of the wooden Kali Mai Puja structure which is located at Number Sixty-four Foreshore about half of a mile from the Public Road.
Both of the grandsons live with Krissendeow Chunilal and are not related to the victim.
The man who is a father of four, two boys and two girls ages 23, 21, 18 and 10 was last seen by his wife Nandkumarie Joseph, 42, called Nando around midnight on Friday when they had a misunderstanding and he left the house.
Speaking from her home, the woman said that on Friday evening the man came home under the influence of alcohol.
“Most times whenever he is under the influence he would misbehave and sometime leave the home and go away. Friday was no different.”She said that he started to fight for food and when he was offered the food he refused. She said that he started to fight, beating her in the process, with a door bar. He then left the house.
She said that she heard nothing from or about him until about 20:30 hrs when his sister who lived close by went to her parent’s home in tears and informed them that somebody “chop up Reuben and he was by the Kali Temple by the beach”.
She did not say who informed her.
His daughter, Devika Joseph, 23, who lives at No 48 village, Corentyne, told the media that she had not seen her father for a few weeks. She stated that although they were poor her father was strict and loving, but when ever he drinks he would ‘behave badly’.
She recalled that she was told that after her parents had a fight her father left the house and went to stay at the Kali Mai Temple, something which he usually does.
She said that she learnt that her grandfather and cousins were going to the Kali Mai Temple to do some religious activities when they found the body.
It was in a corner of the building. She said that she learnt that at the time he was found he was still alive. He was picked him up and taken to the Skeldon hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
Blood was found in a building in the compound of the Kali Temple.
The man had an ongoing matter in the Magistrate’s courts.

If you find a comment distasteful or inappropriate, you can flag the comment and send us a report for immediate removal. Send report to
Kaieteur News reserves the rights to moderate any comment deemed inappropriate and is not responsible for the views expressed.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest News Headlines

>>> Click to see more...

Updated by Kaieteur News Personnel. All Rights Reserved. A GxMedia website solution.