Disputed property goes up in flames
- incendiary device believed hurled into building
Fire, believed to be the work of arsonists, completely gutted a disputed property at Lot 197 Quamina Street last night, leaving a family homeless and resulting in millions of dollars in losses.
The popular wooden landmark housed a workshop and a number of motorcycles were destroyed in the inferno.
Police are probing reports that an incendiary device was thrown into the building and that a car with the suspected arsonists was spotted driving away from the scene.
Nikita De Roche, 20, her 11-year-old brother, and her sons, aged two and one, were the sole occupants of the top flat when the fire broke out.
De Roche told Kaieteur News that the one-year-old was with her while the other children were inside.
The woman said she was hanging out clothes when she heard a loud explosion in the building. She said that she immediately ran inside and gathered up the other two children and fled the building.
The house was quickly engulfed with flames and De Roche said that she was unable to save anything.
She listed a washing machine, television, and microwave among the household items that were lost.
When Kaieteur News arrived on the scene, firefighters, who had adequate supplies of water, were in an obviously futile battle to save the building.
While the firefighters were at work, a ruckus broke out among a group of young men who were reportedly related to the owner of the property.
Some in the group were overheard hurling accusations at the suspected arsonists.
The property was at the centre of a court dispute a few years ago, and police had been receiving information that persons had attempted to torch the building.