Providence accident victim still unidentified
The Guyana Police Force is seeking the assistance of members of the public in identifying a man who was involved in a fatal accident at Providence Public Road, East Bank Demerara, on Monday last.
The victim is of East Indian descent, believed to be between 50 and 60 years old, approximately five feet in height, medium built, brown complexion with a low hair cut and a pony tail.
The body is clad in a cream jersey, blue long pants and bare feet and is presently lying at the Lyken’s Funeral Parlour.
Anyone with information that may assist in confirming the identity of the deceased is asked to contact the police on telephone numbers 227-1152, 226-0869, 265-2222, 227-2349, 227-1270, 225-6411, 911 or the nearest police station.
Fort Ordnance drowning…
Relatives blame unfinished koker for lad’s demise
- Regional Chairman dismisses claims
The post mortem examination performed on 12-year-old Michael Cadogan called ‘Scorchy’ has confirmed that he died from asphyxia due to drowning.
On Sunday, the lad, of 223 Fort Ordnance Housing Scheme, East Canje and a student of the Canje Secondary School, was fished out of a trench aback of Fort Ordnance, not far from his home, in an unconscious state, and was rushed to the New Amsterdam Hospital where he succumbed shortly after.
Cadogan was the eldest child and the only boy for his parents, Charles and Theresa Cadogan.
The dead lad’s father had stated that he had just returned home from work when he got the message that his son was frothing at the koker. He immediately abandoned what he was doing and raced to the scene but by the time he reached the location, the boy was already rushed the New Amsterdam Hospital. By the time he reached the medical facility his son had already been pronounced dead.
The family had placed some of the blame for the youth’s death on the negligence of the regional authorities and the sloppy work done by the contractors who had constructed a koker where the youth fell overboard.
The dead youth’s relatives had claimed that the trench was recently redug to drain the Fort Ordnance area which was severely flooded. They said that a koker was recently built and already the door was not closing properly.
The wood has swollen so the door is not closing, resulting in a heavy pull of the water below the surface, close to the door. Cadogan’s father had said that his son was found under the door.
According to reports when the youth plunged overboard, the heavy current pulled him towards the door.
The man had opined, ‘If the door was closed, nothing like that would have happened.”
He had further mentioned that only last week the Regional Chairman had visited the area and told them that the work was substandard and the contractor would have to do it over.
“The Regional Chairman spoke in front of everybody that the work was substandard and the contractor will have to rectify the faults. There is no warning sign, nothing,” the relatives had stated.
“They did substandard work and despite concerns raised by residents and the Chairman’s pronouncement, nothing was done.”
The family had called for a full investigation and questioned how people could be paid to do substandard work.
When contacted, Regional Chairman Zulfikar Mustapha refuted what the relatives are claiming.
He stated that the trench was recently redug and residents should know that it is a deep canal. He said he cannot remember any other trench where there is a warning sign stating that the trench is deep.
“We are doing work all over and there isn’t a sign or warning stating that the trench is deep,” the Regional Chairman said.
Concerning the issue of the koker door not functioning properly, the Chairman said that to his recollection the door is working. He added that he cannot recall stating that the contractor had done substandard work and that the work had to be redone. He remembers mentioning that the work was not finished and the contractors would have to do some additional work. He also said that at the moment, the contractor was doing other works in the region and was not able to go and finish the work. He promised to revisit the area soon.
However relatives and other nearby residents whom Kaieteur News spoke with are sticking to their story.
The police are investigating and are expected to question the contractor.