Sawmill employee electrocuted
A 19-year-old Rosignol sawmill employee perished yesterday afternoon after he was electrocuted while working at the establishment.
David Theophilus Smartt, of Welcome Street, Rosignol, West Bank Berbice, was pronounced dead at the Fort Wellington Hospital where he was rushed immediately after he was discovered lying motionless in the facility with burn marks on his hands.
Details of how the incident occurred were not immediately forthcoming since family members claimed that Smartt’s employer was not being co-operative.
This newspaper was unable to contact the proprietor of the sawmill, which is registered under the name of Ousman and Sons of Burnham Drive, Rosignol.
According to relatives of the dead man, Smartt, who hails from a single-parent home, began working at the sawmill from the age of 11.
They claimed that they last saw him around midday yesterday when he came home for lunch.
One relative told this newspaper that the family received a telephone call from someone at the Fort Wellington Hospital at around 15:00 hours. The person did not say what had happened.
Upon arriving at the hospital, family members were greeted with the news that Smartt was dead.
Relatives told this newspaper that they subsequently went to the sawmill but it was prematurely closed for the day.
However, they managed to meet the secretary, who they claimed was very hostile towards them.
They also alleged that when the owner of the establishment was contacted he informed them that Smartt had a fall and he indicated that he will only be able to speak with them today.
“Nobody told us anything. The police were at the sawmill but they too didn’t tell us anything,” said Smartt’s aunt, Carol Benjamin, who resides opposite the sawmill.