Shocked boy recovering
Twelve-year-old Ronell Roberts, who was shocked after he came into contact with a live wire at a playfield adjoining the Ministry of Health, is said to be recovering well.
The child’s mother, Sharon Roberts, yesterday told Kaieteur News that doctors have removed the intravenous drips.
The woman said that her son is communicating well with relatives, and was in a very jovial mood when they visited.
She said that the doctors did not specify when he would be released from the hospital.
“They say more tests need to be done….just to make sure he is fine.”
Quick thinking by Charlene James, on Thursday, helped save the young child’s life.
Reports reaching this newspaper state that the young boy was involved in a game of football at a playfield when he came into contact with a live wire.
James, who was en route to the Georgetown Public Hospital witnessed the incident, and quickly rendered assistance.
The woman had told Kaieteur News that she was not supposed to be on Brickdam, but the driver made a wrong turn.
According to the woman, she stopped the vehicle and quickly went to investigate what was going on. James said she was confronted by a child lying and screaming, with a live electrical wire in his grasp.
James shouted to a frantic lad who was visibly traumatised that he should knock the wire away with a piece of wood which was nearby. This was quickly done.
She then instructed one of the young boys present to attempt to perform CPR on Ronell Roberts, who was clearly in distress. He was rushed to Georgetown Public Hospital.
A relative told this newspaper that Roberts, who is a member of the Santos Football Club, would practise at the playfield every day. According to the relative, the family was told that Roberts was going to retrieve a ball when he came into contact with the live wire.