Former army officer says cruise ship job offer is authentic
A former Guyana Defence Force officer accused of perpetrating a scam has come forward to clear the air on the Carnival Cruise Lines job offers.
Yesterday, the officer said that back in 1998 another ex-army officer, Oscar King, approached him with an offer to be a local agent for Kendall International Recruiting Agency (KIRA), a company based in Trinidad. According to the former officer, he accepted the offer to be the agent for the Trinidadian company.
According to the officer, the Trinidadian company is manned by Kendell Bedeau who is the sole person in the Caribbean for recruiting persons for Carnival Cruise Lines.
He went on to explain that since taking up the responsibility as the local agent he was merely responsible for publishing advertisements and maintaining contact with his Trinidadian employer for the purpose of recruitment.
The company has already successfully recruited several Guyanese to work with the cruise line, the officer said. He however explained that it would not be economical for the Trinidad agent to travel to Guyana to interview a few people. He added that what would normally happen is that the agent will only travel to Guyana once there is a large group of persons to interview—as large as 150 or 200 people.
He said given this fact, some persons have been waiting for recruitment for close to a year.
The officer added that several persons who for one reason or the other felt that the process was taking too long have since approached him and the Trinidadian agent for a refund of their money.
Many have secured their refund, he added.
He further explained that if others are interested in a refund, the company is more than willing to do so, but he maintains that the job offer is no scam.
And in the wake of the report in yesterday’s issue, the officer sent an e-mail to Bedeau expressing his concern and seeking a statement from Bedeau to clear up any misunderstanding. “This can be done by accessing and sending an e-mail to (Kaieteur News). I appreciate if this matter can be dealt with urgently.”
But as early as January 15, last, he had been expressing his reservation at the delay. “I am a bit reserved with placing more advertisements in the newspapers. I don’t think the response will be good from prospective applicants since the already registered applicants are all enquiring about the status of their applications. Some have been registered for over a year.”
Following a report in this newspaper that several persons have fallen prey to a cruise line job offer fraud out of Barbados, several persons approached this newspaper about what they suspected was yet another fraud.
The persons claimed that they applied and even posted money to a Trinidadian who promised to respond to their job application but a year has passed but nothing has materialized.
They also claimed that money was given to the local former officer.