UNAMCO trail shooting: Employees detained

June 25, 2009 | By | Filed Under News 

The police have detained two persons to assist in the investigation into the shooting on the UNAMCO trail that has left a young businessman dead on Tuesday.
Sources close to the investigation say that the two men who were at the time traveling with 34 year-old Thakoor Persaud have been taken into police custody.
Initial reports are that Persaud, along with his brother-in-law, Solomon Low-A-Chee and another friend Ravi Deobarran, were heading to Persaud’s mining operation at 28 Miles UNAMCO Road, Berbice River when they were reportedly ambushed by gunmen.
The man’s reputed wife, Devi Dookie, said that as far as she was told, the incident occurred some time around 03:00 hours on Tuesday.
She said that the family received a call around 17:00 hours yesterday saying that Persaud was shot.
According to Dookie, she last saw her reputed husband on Monday when he left their Soesdyke home for an interior location.

Dead: Thakoor Persaud

Dead: Thakoor Persaud

“Around five on Tuesday, Solomon called and say that Thakoor was dead,” Dookie said.
She added that Solomon related to her that while the trio was heading out of the trail in a pick-up Persaud was sleeping in the tray of the vehicle when they came across a fallen tree.
She added that she was told that her brother-in-law and the other man did not bother to wake Persaud, who was asleep, for assistance to move the fallen tree.
She said her brother-in-law told her that as they were about to move the tree from their path they were ambushed by an unknown number of gunmen.
She said since the incident she has not seen her brother-in-law or the other man who was on the trip.
Dookie added that the last thing her brother-in-law told her was that they would have to turn their cell phones in to the police since they are being investigated.

A police statement indicated that Persaud and two other men were traveling in motor pick up GKK 8654 along a trail through a logging concession, when they observed a log across the trail. While the three men were in the process of removing the log they came under gunfire during which Persaud was reportedly hit while the other two men managed to escape into the forest.
It was stated in the police release that the two men later returned and used the vehicle to drive to the Kwakwani Police Station where the matter was reported.
The police subsequently visited the scene where Persaud’s body was found with suspected gunshot wounds.
The body has been brought out to the Lyken Funeral Home. Sources say the man’s licenced firearm is now missing.
The police have recovered four spent shells and a live cartridge at the scene. The two men are being questioned by the police in relation to the incident.

If you find a comment distasteful or inappropriate, you can flag the comment and send us a report for immediate removal. Send report to kaieteurnews@yahoo.com
Kaieteur News reserves the rights to moderate any comment deemed inappropriate and is not responsible for the views expressed.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest News Headlines

>>> Click to see more...

Updated by Kaieteur News Personnel. All Rights Reserved. A GxMedia website solution.