Students affected by smoke at West Ruimveldt Primary School
At least six students of the West Ruimveldt Primary School, located just off Mandela Avenue, in West Ruimveldt, Georgetown, were rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital yesterday suffering from respiratory distress.
Fifth-grade students Nkasi DeAbreu, Anjan Heyligar, Mikhaliala Chester, Nikita Waldron, Sasha Thompson and Angela John, whose ages range from nine to 10, were in their classroom when they were alerted by smoke from a nearby blaze set by someone in the community.
Headmistress of the school, Mrs. Wendy Leitchmore, said that it was a close call, since those affected were asthmatic and needed urgent medical attention at the Georgetown Public Hospital. They all had difficulty breathing.
“Thank God the children are alright. As soon as they were looked at by the doctor and everything was under control, they were sent back to school where they commenced with their normal school day.” Mrs. Leitchmore said that she will be contacting the Ministry of Education about the matter.
“In the past there would be some smoke coming from around the area from those that might be burning rubbish and so on, but it never affected anyone like it did the children.”
She urged that citizens who live next to a school, or anywhere where there are children, should desist from indulging in such acts.